Due to the specific profile, the Museum of Pharmacy of Sibiu (opened in 1972) represents a rarity in its domain on Romanian level, as well as on European one. The founding of the Museum in the city of Sibiu was double motivated: on one hand, this is the place of the first documented apothecary, mentioned as early as the year 1494; on the other hand, a rich tradition of pharmaceutical activities developed in the area.
At present, the building sheltering the Museum lies in the historical center of Sibiu, being one of the architectural monuments of historical importance, displaying Gothic and Renaissance features, dating from the year 1568. In this very building has functioned one of the oldest apothecaries in Sibiu, the third in chronological succession, founded around 1600 and named At the Black Bear.
It is the basement of this house where Samuel Hahnemann invented homeopathy and developed his version of treatment. Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of the therapeutic doctrine, was active in Sibiu between 1777 and 1779, as physician and the secretary of Baron Samuel von Brukenthal, Governor of Transylvania. It is considered that, during the period, he was able to research the traditional Transylvanian folk practice of medication, which inspired him. The Collection of Homeopathy comprises over 2900 pieces, kits and bottles of homeopathic recipes respectively, all of which being took over from the former apothecary La Înger (At Angel) in Sibiu.
The exhibition was conceived according to a classic apothecary pattern, comprising an Oficina and a Laboratory, in addition to which the medical kits hall and a Homeopathy sector were added. The exhibits are displayed in thematic sectors; an all-comprising image of the apothecary functioning and instruments is envisaged to the visitor, evincing their historic evolution. The furniture of the room was manufactured in Vienna, in 1902, and it belonged to the former apothecary named To the Black Vulture.
The Museum’s collections comprise over 6600 pieces, bringing valuable evidences about the evolution of medication and pharmaceutical techniques for more than three and a half centuries. (From Brukenthal National Museum)