The Mureş Prefecture Palace, originally the Palace of Târgu Mureş City Hall, is an edifice built between 1905-1907, at the initiative of mayor György Bernady as mayoral seat of Târgu Mureş.
The Palace was realized after the projects of architects Komor Marcel and Dezso Jakab, in Secession style, with ornaments inspired by folk art. It was the first building designed to provide a new look to the urban center in the early 20th century.
The singular tower (60 m high), originally built as a fire watchtower of the city, is placed asymmetrically and covered, the same as the whole building, with colored majolica, the material from which they were made also the outside floral decorations. It has a clock that has dials on all four sides of the tower and its bell-beat can be heard every quarter of an hour.
The majestic hall with vaulted ceiling in Gothic style and supported by marble carved columns, realized in the manner of Knights' Hall of Hunedoara Castle - and the Council Room were originally adorned with huge stained glass windows.
Since 1962 the Palace became the county seat of the Communist Party organization, and in 1990 the administrative headquarters of Mureş County.
Tour in Dorobanti area – Sunday 2 April
12 hours ago