National Military Museum "King Ferdinand"

The first attempts for preservation of some military pieces dates during Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza (1859-1865), who issued an order that objects related to the army were to be housed at the Army's Arsenal.

The National Military Museum "King Ferdinand"

 The next step was the creation of a Museum of Artillery in 1893, after which, in 1914, has established a section of Military History in the National Museum of History. In 1919, the Ministry of Agriculture and Domains gave to the Ministry of War the building called the Palace of Arts, situated in Carol Park, together with two other nearby buildings to accommodate the exhibitions and heritage of the future Military Museum. In the next period were intensified the efforts to collect and enrich the collections and heritage, developed on the basis of donations, purchases and seizures of war.

The National Military Museum, 1923-1943

On December 18, 1923, King Ferdinand issued the High Decree no. 6064 which legislated the establishment of the National Military Museum, as distinct institution.

The Central Military Museum, 1957-1959

Museum's activity has been temporarily suspended following the strong fire in summer 1938. Subsequently, following the earthquake of November 1940 and the outbreak of the Second World War, the museum stopped its activity for 20 years. The institution was then reopened to the public May 9, 1957, under the name of the Central Military Museum, first in the building on Bălcescu Avenue no. 5-7, and later in the building of the former School of Infantry and Cavalry, Izvor Street no. 137. In 1985 the institution moved to the present headquarters, on Mircea Vulcănescu Street no. 125-127, a former barracks of Infantry Regiment No. IV Ilfov 21 and later head of the Border Guards Headquarters. After the events of December 1989, the institution has returned to the title of National Military Museum "King Ferdinand".

The Central Military Museum, 1959-1985

Currently, the patrimony of the National Military Museum consists of over 300,000 three-dimensional objects and documentary material which is exploited in various ways, both permanent and temporary exhibitions of the museum and its subsidiaries, and through participation in joint cultural projects with institutions of military profile or civilian, at home and abroad.

The permanent exhibitions are: Prehistory, Ancient History, Medieval History, Modern History, Contemporary History, Revolution's Room, Romanian Military Uniforms, Medieval, modern and contemporary weapons, Aviation and aeronautical equipment, Artillery and armored vehicles (180 pieces exposed on 2000 sqm in the inner court), Carriages, harness and saddle accessories.

One can see in the Museum the collections of Weapons (11.650 pieces), Orders, medals, plaques and badges (10,500 pieces), Romanian and foreign uniforms (13,900 exhibits), Flags and banners (over 10,500 exhibits), Archeology and Numismatics (over 15,000 pieces), Drawings, Paintings, Sculptures, Precious objects, Prints, engravings and lithographs, Evidence objects.

The Library of the Museum comprises rare books, magazines and newspapers (60,000 pieces). The Museum has a Conservation-restoration laboratory and offers consulting, restoration, expertise and rent services. There are also sections of the Museum opened in the cities of Bacău, Constanţa, and Oradea.

Photos from Muzeul Militar Naţional.