The oldest data on the local Saxon population dates from 1488, when 77 households were enumerated, a school with a teacher, a mill with a miller and 16 abandoned houses. Population can be estimated at about 330 people.
The tower of the old church
The Saxon Romanesque Lutheran church has early 14th century Gothic murals in the apse, 15th century ones in the nave and a 15 century late Gothic altar. It was a simple basilica with three naves and three mid-size arcade. The church entrance was on the south side of the ship, the floor of the tower being closed.
The Saxon Church
Around 1840 the old church, abandoned, was demolished. In 1842 began the building of a new church under the direction of master builder Samuel Teusch from Sighişoara. It is a large church, without a specific style, built from bricks, with large round windows. It was built also a new bellfry, but by the end of construction it collapsed and has not been rebuilt. The Classical altar dates also from 1845 and is the work of Friedrich Pokotz from Braşov. It has one large picture flanked with strong Corinthian pillars. The pulpit and canopy are the work of sculptor Nikolaus Popp from Braşov. The exterior wall is built of sandstone with an irregular oval shape.
In later centuries the Apafi family (Hungarian nobles in Transylvania) buried their dead in the church since they had overlordship in the village, but the sarcophagi were removed by the Communist regime.
Panoramas by Michael Pop.